Sunday, July 26, 2015

County Fair 2015

So far, the county fair has been pretty enjoyable.  Good food, good friends, great projects and great animals.  

I travel throughout the surrounding counties enough each summer judging at other fairs to feel pretty confidant in stating that our local kids are pretty awesome.  

My (very abridged) recap of thoughts on projects include:
  • Holy cow, I wish I knew how to decorate a cake so stunningly. 
  • Holy cow, I wish I could put together such a sophisticated ensemble on a shoestring budget.
  • Holy cow, that is a dang nice looking home-raised calf.
  • Holy cow, I wish I could weld that well.
  • Holy cow, that woodworking project actually lives up to my standards.  Awesome.  (As you can see, my strengths clearly are focused upon one area.  And that motherhood has cleaned up my language immensely.)
Speaking of motherhood and children, Kenyon has enjoyed his time at the fair as well.  

If this isn't the most genius way to watch a beef show, I don't know what is.
And the award for dirtiest fair kid goes to.....
Any child under the age of 5 who had a parent brave enough to let them loose near dirt..

I can feel the criticisms coming in - "WHERE ARE HIS PARENTS?!"  Quit clutching your pearls, ladies.  His mother was a mere five feet behind him, stretched back on some bleachers and trying desperately to cool her miserable 7 1/2 month preggo body.  

His dad serves as one of the beef superintendents and was helping in the ring during the beef show.  Never fear, Kenyon and his dad got to hang out as soon as his dad finished his superhero duties.  Kenyon loved watching his dad in the ring.  If I had been out there I'm not sure he would have even glanced my direction.  



I had my opportunity to serve as superintendent of the tractor operator contest the next day.  At one o'clock in the afternoon.  In a large, open, treeless area.  In my 7 1/2 month pregnant glory.  Thank goodness one of the 4-H parents was wonderful enough to hold her shade umbrella over me.  

The tractor operator contest is one of my favorite parts of the fair, and not because I'm in charge, but because the kids (and parents) don't take themselves too seriously during this.  The kiddos take a short, written test and then must drive a small tractor and bumper pull trailer through a pattern.  The level of good-natured smack talk is hilarious.  

Where was Kenyon while I was at the fairgrounds working?  He headed to a grandma's house to beat the heat for the afternoon.
Yes, it really is hot enough out to totally justify this sort of attire (or lack thereof).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.