Monday, November 19, 2012

Queen of Frugal, Meet Captain Obvious - King of Common Sense

I did something brilliant.  Absolutely genius.  Stunning.  Magnificent.  I combined my love of photography and frugalness (frugality, frugaling) into one lovely gift for my husband. 

Our bedroom has needed decorating ever since we moved in.  Not that Wesley was complaining, mind you, but I thought that a nice photo from our place would be a welcome addition. 

For weeks I scanned the internet ads and Sunday paper coupons, waiting for the perfect opportunity.  Lo and behold, one day I finally found it - Free 8x10 enlargements for a limited time only!  I pounced upon the opportunity and sent my photo off to become even huger wonderfulness, beyond the basic 4x6 greatness that it already was!  (Yes, the English language is too much for me to master today.) 

It took another month after getting the picture back that I finally made it to a big town with a Hobby Lobby.  I hit them up with a 50% frame sale, used a 40% coupon on the mat and patiently waited another month for my picture to finally be complete. 

I brought the photo home and showed it to Wesley, so excited that I could barely hold it steady for him to admire. 

"Hmph.  Well this is just depressing.  Look how high the water level in the pond used to be.  This sucks." 

The wind rushed out of my sails and my ego popped, all in one foul swoop.  I know that he didn't mean to be unkind, its just that he can't shut off the part of his brain that is constantly at work and turn on the one that allows him to simply admire things at face value..... kind of like how I can't shut off the part of my brain that wonders if I can find a better deal for something by using double reward points with store X or double coupons at store Y. 

We are cursed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.