Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Only in Greenwood County

As I pulled out the drive on Sunday afternoon I saw a snowflake hit my windshield and I thought "Only in Greenwood County would anyone be golfing on a day like today." 

As I pulled into the golf course parking lot and saw the overflow of vehicles I shook my head.

As I watched my husband and his friends play bumper cars with the golf carts I covered my face.

As I watched the awards being handed out in the clubhouse later that afternoon I noticed that all the winning teams donated their prize money back to the cause we were there to support and I was touched.  

Later that night, as the crowd made their way into the community building, there was a bountiful buffet provided for all the hungry souls.  Free of charge.  I was starving and I was moved. 

There was a raffle for several items that night and time after time people would win really nice prizes, only to donate them back and ask that they be auctioned off to raise more money.  I was teary-eyed. 

There were also a ton of designated auction items and the same thing happened with them time and again, auctioning and re-auctioning them.  I was floored. 

The family that we were there to raise money for stood up to speak and I, along with everyone in that room, was an absolute wreck. 

Only in Greenwood County.

2 comments:

  1. That's not Greenwood County. That is is the soul of rural Kansas standing up for good of the people in our communities who we love and care for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point, BJ. When I started this post I was intending to be funny and only tell stories about playing bumper cars and Happy Gilmores on the golf course. This post ended up taking a very different turn than I was intending. Hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.