Thursday, February 18, 2016

New Diaper Bag

I've been in the market for a diaper bag for several months now.  I decided that if I'm going to be a professional, full-time mom I could at least treat myself to a nice looking diaper bag.  (Why do I need a nice looking diaper bag if I refuse to put on makeup, fix my hair and wear 'town clothes' like the rest of society?  Good question, but that's not germane to our discussion today.) 

Behold, my new diaper bag:


I cannot say enough wonderful things about this bag and the business I purchased it from, Charlie 7.

I found Charlie 7 on Facebook, and they also have a business page on Etsy that shows a variety of different types, styles and materials to completely customize your own bag.  The owner, Karen, was wonderful to work with and humored me when I wasn't able to coordinate fabrics quite to my liking.  (I'm the woodworker, not the quilter, in my family.  Red oak and cherry lumber?  Boom.  Good combo.  Fabrics?  Not a clue.)  She gave me several helpful suggestions and steered me towards the bag that would best fit my needs.  

What are my needs, you ask?  In my initial email I specifically told her: 

I am needing a diaper bag that someday can transition to an everyday bag. I love leather you include on your bags, especially the flap and bottom. We ranch in the flint hills of Kansas, so it needs to be tough, durable and not show dirt. It must be able to withstand going to the pasture and processing barn. I like fabrics that are ranchy/Aztec/western/rustic, which I saw on some of your bags and loved. I prefer structure on a bag versus a 'floppy' bag (I hope that makes sense). And a few pockets would be helpful as well. A changing pad isn't really necessary as I have one from my current diaper bag. I hope this gives you a bit of direction.

Karen at Charlie 7 created a perfect bag for me. She even included a handwritten thank-you note in one of the pockets which was just icing on the cake for me. Who does that? Wonderful small business owners, that's who.


Please go check out her work - you will love it!

2 comments:

  1. I really like the fabric, and totally identify when you said you like a bag with structure. I am checking Charlie 7 out on Facebook now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will not be disappointed - she is great!

      Delete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.