Friday, June 12, 2015

Daddy Pray

For the past month or so, Kenyon and I have prayed twice a day - naptime and bedtime.  He is a very good boy when it comes to learning routines and sticking to them (heaven help you if you leave your shoes in the living room instead of the mudroom) and now has firmly established in his mind that before you go to sleep, you must pray.  

Wesley has been getting up early most mornings this week to ship cattle and coming home late at night after working in the heat all day.  Finally, the heat and stress of the week seemed to catch up with him and he decided to come home early (8 at night in the summer is early to a rancher, trust me) and head straight to bed.  It was cute to see Kenyon and Wes get ready for bed at the same time, changing into jammies, washing faces and the like.  

At the very end of their routine, Kenyon asked his dad, "Daddy, pray?"  So we all huddled together with folded hands and prayed for friends that are sick, said thank you for our good day and asked that we all be good little boys and mommies and daddies the next day.  

Kenyon let me carry him up the stairs to his room instead of walking up himself and the entire time he was on cloud nine.  "Daddy pray!  Daddy pray!"  I must admit I was pretty impressed too.  Although my husband has a relationship with God, it is one that he keeps to himself.  It was touching to see him share such a moment with us.  

I was so glad both boys went to bed so early last evening.  It gave me a chance to quietly clean the kitchen, shed lots of happy tears and feel the baby in my belly celebrate with somersaults of joy.  Or maybe the baby was hyper from all the Mexican food we had for supper.  No matter; it was a lovely evening all because Kenyon's daddy prayed.  

2 comments:

  1. This is a post I would come back to read again and again. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't read it too often or I'm afraid I'll get dehydrated. It still makes me cry every time I think about it.

      Delete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.