Sunday, June 14, 2015

A Lot of Dang Nickels. (Symphony in the Flint Hills 2015)

If I had a nickel for every time I saw something like this in my lifetime......



I'd have a lot of dang nickels.

Or this picture:

Or this one:


Are you starting to get an idea of what my childhood was like?


Pickups, trailers, teams of horses and covered wagons.  Yes, that hits quite a few of the major points during my primary years.


Picnic lunch on a flatbed trailer.  Yep, still reminds me of my youth.  The only thing out of place is seeing a man that's like another father to me trying to operate a smart phone.  Still can't wrap my head around that one.  


Perhaps I should take a step back and explain why I was completely surrounded by horses and covered wagons yesterday.  The 2015 Symphony in the Flint Hills occurred yesterday and our friends and family have been given the opportunity to provide rides to the patrons of this event every year.  To see more photos of the actual symphony, google: Flint Hills Media Project.  They do a wonderful job of covering the event.

Yesterday morning while getting everything hitched up it crossed our minds more than once that it might be a rather wet and miserable afternoon. Thankfully we only received a brief shower before the skies cleared and light breeze came up.  It was a beautiful afternoon to be either horseback or on a wagon.  My six month preggo self decided it was much more comfortable to ride a horse than a wagon and I had ample opportunity to do both.

Feel free to click on any photo to enlarge.

See that on the left?  That's my thigh.  The only time I made it into a photo.  There's a reason I like to take photos and always be behind the lens.  Driving; however, usually requires both hands so I lent my camera to my mother for a period of time.  Turns out, it is rather difficult to take non-blurry photos while riding in a covered wagon.  Who knew?  I don't remember Laura Ingalls Wilder mentioning this ever.  

See that "thing" on the left?  That's a cowboy hat I didn't take the time to crop out.  You're welcome.
It's a Sunday morning and I'm feeling lazy. 





The internet will undoubtedly be flooded today with selfies in front of teams and wagons. 

My brother-in-law.  Because I think he'll be mad to see his picture on my blog.  And I live to make him mad.
We're tight like that. 

These vans hauled in all the orchestra members that made such sweet music for the attendees.  The excitement is rather palpable every year when you see this procession pull in.




Unhitching from wagons and unharnessing after a long, yet enjoyable, day of work. 

I'm telling ya', if I had a nickel for every time we did this growing up, I'd have a lot of dang nickels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.