Thursday, August 14, 2014

"Home" "Lab" "Cook"

This title should be sufficient enough to get me on every sort of national druggie watch list, I assume.  If I see black helicopters flying overhead in the next week I'll know I was right.  I didn't really need to add "cook", but I figured I'd throw it into the mix anyway.

I love to run my little home laboratory during K's naptime.  When we receive new cattle on our place we like to take an ear notch sample and test to see if they are PI (persistently infected).  Wesley brings me the ear notches and I run them as soon as K lays down.  If something is identified as PI, I let Wesley know PDQ and he sorts the calf off to find him a new home before he spreads it on to others.

Events like this help solidify in my mind that I am a total nerd, or at least not totally normal.  I lay out all my testing materials across the top of the washing machine and test approximately 30 animals - the max I can fit on my super duper high tech laboratory countertop.  While those are "cooking" (hey, look!  I did need to add 'cooking'!) I turn around in the other direction and start the process again on my counter top.  Back and forth, back and forth, I repeat this process for an hour or two.  Sometimes K wakes up a bit early, so I let him in on the fun, too.  I can't wait till he goes to kindergarten some day and tells the teacher all about his mother's 'home lab'.  I may have to speak with Mrs. Redeker soon about this and give her a heads up.  Fun stuff, folks.  Let me tell you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.