Friday, May 18, 2012

I'm Not Weird, I'm Resourceful

As my father's only son (please don't hang on that statement too long, no gender changes were involved) I learned very quickly that if a problem arose, more often than not I had to solve it myself - at least temporarily to get by until Dad could help me with a more permanent fix. 

Wesley left last night to spend five days in Florida with my Dad, my brother-in-law, a neighbor and another feller.  Yep, a big ol' stag party.  Because it is now just the girls and I at the house, we have strategically booby-trapped the entire place.  Potential burglars beware. 

I had myself mentally prepared for intruders and was walking on pins and needles last night when, suddenly, I heard a chorus of squeaks and whines.  Loop, Laurie and I all perked up our ears and began to track down the source of the mysterious sound.  After tearing apart the bottom of our dishwasher we finally found our culprit - two mice stuck on a sticky trap and obviously not thrilled by the prospect. 

The three of us stared at each other and all agreed that we did NOT want to touch the trap while they were still alive.  Or even when they finally died.  Those things are gross.  So, how do you kill mice without touching them?  Have you ever pondered that?  We couldn't use diesel fuel inside the house, and we couldn't use kerosene or oil, so we finally settled upon using flea and tick spray.  I think that Loopie and Laurie just wanted me to use up as much as possible on something other than themselves. 

That's right, folks, if you spray a mouse with enough flea and tick spray, not only will his hair coat be thoroughly protected, but he will also drift off into a deep, deep sleep. 

Again, I reiterate, I am not weird, I am resourceful. And I hope they don't start to stink before Wesley gets back.  If they do, be prepared for some sort of story involving a scoop shovel inside the house.  I'm not scared of mice, but they are just so gross.  Its one of the few times that I will play the "girl card." 

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite authors actually includes something like this in one of his books when a mouse appears in his bathtub. He first tries to Raid it to death, then tries to drown it, then tries to use a flashlight as a sort of strobe light (in the hopes of giving it a seizure, I guess)... Eventually the mouse dies. All of these are braver than my prancing out of the room and waiting till Aaron gets home. Of course, the mouse has wriggled off the trap by then.

    ReplyDelete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.