Monday, January 9, 2012

Grocery Shopping

Wesley and I don't normally make a habit of shopping together.  Every once in a blue moon I get jealous of seeing all those lovey-dovey couples walking the isles of stores together, hand in hand, adoringly gazing into one another's eyes and genuinely caring about and respecting the other's shopping choices. 

We are not that couple. 

It just so happened on Saturday that we both needed items from the big town 30 minutes away and we decided to run errands together in the feed pickup.  Big mistake.

He dropped me off at Walgreens to purchase a few items and he was going to drive one block away to the hardware store and pick up a pallet of concrete for fence building.  As I stepped out of the pickup I sarcastically mentioned that, "I don't know if I can live without you for five minutes, I love you so much, blah, blah, blah."  To which he replied, "Yeah, whatever." 

I got 10 yards away from the pickup when I heard the cattle siren blare.  If you've never had the pleasure of hearing one of those, consider yourself lucky.  I stopped dead in my tracks and turned around slowly to see my beloved, my husband jumping up and down in his seat, waving to me and mouthing the words "I LOVE YOU TOO!"  I ducked my head and tried to hurry into the store and avoid the stares from all the elderly shoppers who had just unwillingly tested their pacemakers. 

We finished that fiasco and headed to the grocery store.  I did apologize to Wesley before we headed in because I do recognize the fact that I can get a little crazy when I've got a pile of coupons in my hand.  I'm not like that every time I go to the store, I promise, but once a quarter I do a MAJOR shopping trip and today was that unfortunate day. 

I feel that it was payback for his behavior earlier.  He got to follow me while I perused through all the isles muttering things like, "This is RIDICULOUS!  When we got married that box only cost $4.99!  Now it's over a dollar higher.  Thank goodness I have that coupon for $1.50 off!"  "Put that box down!  We have three in the cupboard at home and you've managed to eat portions of all three!"  "You can't have another bottle of that until you finish the ones in the fridge.!"  "No way Jose, the last time I bought that I had to throw away some of it that went bad!" 

An elderly man was following us through the aisles.  Yes, it could have been coincidence but I'm pretty sure he was just doing it for the entertainment value.  As we finally made our way to the frozen section and were finishing up our shopping trip from Hell the man obviously couldn't take it anymore and starting laughing in one of those deep, belly laughs.  I pounced on the opportunity and said, "SEE?! Even he thinks you're being a pain in the butt!"  The man just kept laughing and as he pushed his cart past us he said, "This is just too good... hehehe..."

After this weekend I think that I have finally given up the romantic notion of the two of us ever shopping together ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.