Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Sugar Cookies

I am one of those odd people who enjoys Monday mornings.  I like to start off the week with lofty expectations in my life.  The world is still full of hope and promise (notice I didn't say 'hope and change' as I'm sure that was probably trademarked during the last presidential election).  

Last Monday, I decided to make sugar cookies.  Darling little snowflake-shaped sugar cookies with homemade frosting and perhaps even some sprinkles.  It was going to be fabulous.  

Monday morning I managed to feed the baby, pump breast milk, cook breakfast for myself and Kenyon, get him out the door to feed cattle with his dad and make a double batch of cookie dough (because I'm awesome like that (or so I thought.  And yes, this is a double parentheses which I'm not even sure is legal.)).  All of this before 9 am on Monday. 

This particular cookie dough recipe calls for the dough to chill at least 30 minutes prior to rolling out and cutting the shapes.  

I made sure we hit that 30 minute mark, and then some.  And then some more.  

Life seemed to hit us all at once last week.  Testing cattle - an average of 75 per day, bills going out, bills coming in, trips to the vet clinic for medicine, never ending trips to get tires patched, and trying to not forget about the two year old and two month old in my care.  It was a long ol' week.  

On Friday evening, after supper and baths, the hubs asked if I was ever going to do anything with the 'frozen cow patties' I had sitting on the shelf in the refrigerator.  By Friday night at 9 pm we finally had the sugar cookies I had begun on Monday at 9 am.  And the frosting happened as well, but screw the sprinkles. 

There is now a notation next to the sugar cookie recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens 12th Edition cookbook.  

*Dough may last for up to 5 days in refrigerator*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.