Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Resolutions

It's that time of year again; time to make some lofty goals for the upcoming year.  Last year my list of resolutions progressed really stupendously for the first month or so and then was derailed by my pregnancy.  This was not a 'slight change of plans' but more like the train jumped the entire track and left the station.

With no immediate goal of adding to our family, our plans for this year will look a bit different.  Let us begin:


  • Less contractions.  Hundreds less contractions this year.  No, THOUSANDS less contractions this year.  I'm looking forward to their absence.  
  • Similarly, less vomiting and morning sickness.  Again, I'm looking forward to its absense.  
  • A better garden.  Anything is better than our feeble attempt from this summer.  
  • I will be a bit more organized.  I make great strides on this each and every year, but it is something I feel everyone could always improve on.  A little more kon mari never hurt anyone. 
  • I want Kenyon to become potty trained.  We'll see how this one goes.  I've never heard anything but horror stories about potty training boys, so if you have a miraculous success story please feel free to share it with the class. 
  • Spend more time outside.  I feel this one will be super simple.  No pregnancy, no contractions, no 'suggested' bed rest to keep me cooped up inside.  Easy peasy.  
  • Expand my cooking range.  Although the husband doesn't seem to mind my simple menu of about 10 standard items, it is starting to wear me out.  I am a simple person just like him, but mama needs a change, STAT.  This should be pretty simple as well.  My sister gifted me with the newest Pioneer Woman cookbook for Christmas.  Good call, Liza.  
  • Send more handwritten notes to folks.  Snail mail that doesn't involve bills makes a soul feel good I've come to realize.  
  • Drop at least one pant size.  We're not shooting for a Victoria Secret model body, just something with a little less junk in the trunk.  We'll see how this one progresses, especially since I just mentioned that I got a new cookbook.  Hmmmmm.
  • See John begin to walk.  Of all my goals, I feel the 'no contractions' and 'John walking' will be the most achievable.  Both goals are also directly attributed to him as well.  
  • Grow a thicker skin, especially when it comes to the 'little things'.  I am very good at handling large scale, end of the world disasters with a level head, but I will spend days over analyzing an off-handed comment from someone.  Really, my house is messy?  Really, I have weeds in my garden?  Really, my kids have a speck of dirt on them?  These are the things I must learn to let go of.  Again, if you have a miraculous success story you'd like to share with the class, feel free to let me know.  
  • Less screen time for both parents and kids in our house.  I shudder when I think of how many children these days are not capable of carrying on a conversation with either their peers or adults.  The hubs and I are bound and determined not to let our kids get sucked into this hole, and as a result we hope to always be the 'awful' parents that won't let our kids have a tablet, ipad, gameboy, etc.  Less electronics and more dirt, that's our hope.  
Someone help hold me accountable, and good luck and Godspeed to those of you setting goals for yourself as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.