Friday, April 19, 2013

Birthday woes

For Wesley's birthday a few weeks ago we decided to drive to Wichita with some friends and eat supper.  The prospect of going to a big town excited me - I could run errands!  During the week leading up to our Friday night escapade I worked diligently on my "town list."  There was nothing ridiculous, frivolous or outlandish that I was needing, but the list was fairly lengthy. 

Yes, this was my idea of excitement on a Friday night.  Eating at the Olive Garden and shopping for work jeans for Wesley, plus a little yarn to feed my crocheting addiction, plus a whole host of other to-do's that I won't bore you with. 

We all decided to meet at our house.  Actually, "we" didn't decide on anything.  Our buddy Cody insisted that we meet at our house that afternoon which meant that there was considerable backtracking for him and his wife, Ashley.  This caused major grumbling on my part about the ridiculous nature of his entire gender and the fact that I can't believe it is mostly men that run the world and this is why the world is running into the ground.  You know, typical grumbles. 

I dutifully made sure that Wesley and I were showered and ready at the appropriate time, patiently ready and waiting with my shopping list and purse in hand. 

About that time I watched as a white stretch limousine slowly crawled down our dirt road, pulled into our rock driveway and parked next to a pile of the girls' chew-toy bones. 

Hmm.

I'll admit, part of me was incredibly elated, and the other part of me debated on whether or not I should give up on my dreams of running any errands that evening.  This was more of a struggle than I should probably admit, but I ended up placing the list back on our fridge and lamenting to myself that I could live another week without yarn.  ....Sigh....

So, to tie up loose ends on this story.... Cody has a friend that owns a limo.  The one that we took out that night, in fact.  Duh.  No one, not even Cody's wife Ashley knew what was going on, so Cody wanted to surprise all of us and see the look on our faces when the limo pulled into our drive.  It was pretty awesome, I'll admit. 

No errand-running occurred that night, much to my chagrin, but I did get over it. 

As we were slowly crawling down our dirt road in the limo, trying not to get a flat on our way to the highway, Wesley noticed three semi-loads of cattle heading towards our house to unload.  We had the limo pull over to the side of the road and Wesley stepped out into the middle of the road so the trucks would actually stop and talk to us so Wesley could tell them where to unload.  We were pretty sure they wouldn't stop and chit chat to folks in a limo like they usually do when we are in a feed pickup.  The truck drivers had a good laugh at our highly unusual ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.