Monday, February 11, 2013

Birthday Girl

Big day at our house today.  Loopie is turning three.  THREE.  Where does the time go?  (And yes, I realize that recognizing this event does qualify us as those dog people.) 

When I realized this morning that it was her birthday, I started thinking back on how much our life has changed in these three years.  It took me back to the time that Wesley and I almost got divorced.  Yep, that's right, I can take any sentimental moment and crush it with a heavy dose of reality and assorted downers. 

Think back to all those lovey-dovey high school and college relationships when the significant other could do no wrong and you only saw stars in your eyes when you lovingly and affectionately gazed at them. 

Remember that story from a few months back when I said we were on the 'accelerated program' regarding brutal honesty in our relationship? 



It was my last semester of college and I was coming home for spring break in late March.  We had a late season blizzard come through that week when I was trying to drive back to Kansas and see my beloved, my do-no-wrong, say-no-wrong love of my life.  Earlier that week I had also gotten the call that my puppy had finally reached the weaning age and was ready to be picked up that week.  I thought about it long and hard (yeah, right) and decided that Wesley could wait.  I needed to drive an extra two hours north in a blizzard and pick up this adorable little ball of blue heeler fur. 

I called my do-no-wrong, say-no-wrong love of my life to let him know of my genius plans to pick up the pup before I came to see him.  I remember his loving reply to me on the phone that day. 

"If you are stupid enough to drive up there and pick up a damn dog you can just keep driving and don't bother stopping here again." 

Not quite the reply that I was looking for. 

After a crying and cussing fit I came to the realization that this only further solidified our relationship.... and put us on the accelerated program regarding total, brutal honesty in our relationship. 

Monumental things happened that day.  1) Wesley became the first ever male to have the gumption, the gall, the cajones to speak to me like that and live.  And, 2) Wesley became the first male that I ever really listened to, besides my Dad.

It ended up that I didn't get to pick up Loopie on that horrible spring break trip home and I didn't get to meet her for several more weeks.  She was worth waiting for though.  And Wesley and I went through with the whole wedding thing and didn't end up getting a divorce over a puppy and a blizzard. 

And this is the part where you say to yourself "Awwww, such a sweet ending."  See?  I can let some sentimental moments stand uninterrupted. 

Happy birthday, Loop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.