Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Equal opportunity idiot

I not afraid to laugh at myself, and thankfully with this pregnancy the opportunities are more present than ever.  Pregnancy brain is no myth, my friends.  No myth at all. 

True, I'm sure there are varying levels of stupidity and lots of it probably has something to do with your level (or lack of) intelligence to begin with. 

The ladies I work with on a daily basis love the endless fodder of material that I provide to them for their humor and endless teasing pleasure.

Example #1:  In my defense, I knew what I was saying was terribly wrong, but for the life of me I could not come up with the correct name.  In many situations this isn't a problem.  For instance, when dealing with live people on a face to face basis.  I can cover with "buddy," "pal," and my favorite "hey, you!"  When telling a story; however, this can't always work. 

I don't even know why I was trying to tell a biblical story, but I was.  I was very adamant in telling our office professional all about Noah taking a float trip down the Nile in his little reed basket.  "You know, not Noah, but that one kid?"

She was so polite.  "Um, do you mean Moses?"

"That's the one!  Good job buddy!"  Pam, her name is Pam. 

Example #2:  There is a baptist church in town, the Maple Street Baptist Church* (yes, I changed the name).  They are quite small and I have never actually met someone who attends this church.  Keep that one important fact in your mind - small, small, small.

A friend came in the office one day and we covered a plethora of topics during our short visit together.  One of those topics was the Maple Street Baptist Church.  Another one of those topics was about a trucking company that is the largest employer in Greenwood County.

My poor, feeble mind was apparently on overload and not able to process two distinct thoughts separately.  My only contribution to the entire conversation was, "Wait - do you mean to tell me that Maple Street Baptist Church employs almost 90 people?  What in the world do they do with all of them?"

My friend was ever so tactful in his reply.  "What is wrong with you?" 

Pregnancy brain.  It's my excuse for the next several months.  Get used to it.  And get used to some really odd stories. 

2 comments:

  1. I have tried probably three or four times to say Conratulations on my phone but it will not work for the life of me. So now that I am on a computer, let me say, Congratulations! How incredibly exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.