Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I am opposed to cheating

No, this is not a political slam against Newt Gingrich.  I'm not referring to any sort of political scandal.  I'm talking about something much deeper, folks.  Appliances. 

Men might not get me so much on this one, and its fine if you want to stop reading.  (Replace "power tools" with appliances if you must.  I can sympathize with you all the same on that subject.)  Women, I hope you'll share my sentiments. 

My mom was the craziest woman I knew growing up because she CARED about her washer and dryer.  It was my older sister's weekend chore to clean them and every week I would silently laugh and thank goodness that it wasn't me having to do that.  These days I carefully dust the outside and clean the inside of my washer and dryer so they're always spic-an-span.  For all the quality time that we get to spend together I like them to look their best. 

Last week my washer started to miss and sputter on some of its cycles.  When I explained the situation to Wesley he told me that I should probably just go get a new washer.  NEW?!?!?!?!  I thought back over the years and realized that this washer had seen me through 6 years, 3 states, 6 moves, 5 roommates and one husband.  Whew.  Too much history to just part like that.  I made several frantic phone calls and limped it back to its former glory and hard working self.  I plan on keeping my 17 year old washer for many happy years to come.  *Side note:  Some of you may be questioning if my affection for my appliances could also be contributed in part to my frugal nature.  You would be correct in your assumption.*

Last month my little sister sent me a text saying that my parents microwave had finally died.  Bit the bullet.  Kicked the bucket.  Gone to a better place.  .....Sigh.....  After 27ish years my parents are having to introduce this new item into their lives.  I go home now to visit and stare at the cupboard where our old trusty microwave used to sit.  Every time I silently purse my lips and shake my head.  Its just not the same. 

Like I said, I'm opposed to cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.