Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pot, Meet Kettle

I love to watch Extreme Couponing.  You know, the show where one mom goes dumpster diving for coupon inserts, one hits up her neighbors for extra fliers, and one steals them from a homeless man's makeshift pillow.  (Okay, so I made that last one up.)

I first tuned into the show hoping to gain some valuable insight and tips into the world of couponing.  Not so much, but by then I was addicted to watching the show anyway and laughing.

C'mon, some of these folks have serious problems.  Like taking up an entire bedroom with their 1,000 bottle stockpile of shampoo that they paid 10 cents for.  Total.  Or insuring the contents of their garage which includes 10,000 tubes of toothpaste and 600 boxes of cereal and 40 tins of cat food for a feline that they don't even own.

I get such a good laugh out of lounging in my recliner, feet propped up, some sort of feedstuff balanced on the belly-shelf and making fun of these folks that have a serious problem.  I mean, serious.

At the end of the 30 minute program I waddle into our utility room and take a quick inventory of our goods.  I'll give you a brief overview.

Toothpaste: 8-10 boxes
Deodorant: 12-15 sticks
Toothbrushes: 4-6
Razors:  Um, well, lets just say there are enough for Wesley and I to shave every day with a new razor for approximately 6 months.  No joke.

I take this inventory to keep myself in check and make sure I'm not turning into one of these crazies too quickly.  Too quickly being the operative phrase. 

Sometimes I catch myself when I'm clipping coupons and I cringe as I pass a good one by.  I have temporarily banned myself from purchasing anymore razors, no matter how good of a deal I can get on them.  Well, banned myself until we get down to a two month supply, and then the madness can begin again!

Sometimes I wonder how the crazies on Extreme Couponing got their start, and if I should be worried.  Or more appropriately, how worried Wesley should be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.