Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Oh My...

I promise I'm not making this up.

We have a little local radio station (you know, not the first trailer, but drive around back to the second, newer trailer) and sometimes I like to listen to "Swap Shop" during the 8 o'clock hour.  Folks can call in to buy, sell or trade items, and you can also call in to publicize any sort of upcoming event. 

A man called in this morning to publicize a mud run on Saturday.  Not that talking about the mud run in and of itself wasn't exhilarating enough, the man was mid-sentence when he suddenly stopped.

"Uh-oh"

The announcer tried to quiz him.  "What's going on?  Is everything okay?"

"Well, there's a rattlesnake."

The announcer suddenly got very concerned.  "Oh no!  Where's the rattlesnake at?  Is it near you?"

"The rattlesnake is in the skunk's mouth."

At that point I joined everyone else in the county in turning up their radio to maximum volume.  From this point forward for the next 2 minutes we heard a riveting play-by-play of the battle to the death between two equally appalling creatures.  Yes, its true.  I do not love all of God's creatures.  Some are just icky. 

"Okay, so the mud run, it starts at 1pm and we're selling t-shirts.  AGH, THE SKUNK PICKED UP THE SNAKE IN IT'S MOUTH! And I'm going to be wearing our most popular color of t-shirt, its a bright orange color, like the color you wear when you're hunting.  THEY'RE RUNNING AT ME! (random running and heavy breathing sounds in the background) I sure hope he don't try to pee on me.  (I'm guessing he meant the skunk.)  Oh, wait, just a second.... huh, the skunk just fell over dead.  Huh, the skunk's dead, the snake looks dead.  Heck of a deal.  Well, we'll see you at the mud run on Saturday at 1."

Click.  Then we heard nothing but dial tone. 

We could faintly hear the sound of the announcer laughing hysterically and slapping his hand on either his desk or leg.  Finally, he regained his composure and tried to get back on task with Swap Shop.  It was a futile effort on his part - the next three callers simply asked if that had been staged or not.... and if he recorded his morning shows because they wanted a copy of the preceding five minutes.  Much to the chagrin of the county, it was not recorded.  Bummer. 

Never a dull moment in ol' GW County. 

2 comments:

  1. I cried when I read this. I truly laughed so hard I cried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! Now you know how I feel when I read your stories. I've taken to covering my mouth and pinching my nose in hopes of cutting down on my cackles and snorting when I read your blog, but so far there's not been much luck.

    ReplyDelete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.