Friday, June 29, 2012

I pray like a Lutheran and I'm proud of it!

I was recently asked to give the welcome and invocation at an evening event.  No problem, right?  I stood in front of the 120 attendees and thanked them for coming, their support of our program, blah, blah, blah.  I then asked them to bow their heads while I prayed.








There was a very long pause.






At that moment it occurred to me that I had just pulled a very stupid move.

We don't say prayers out loud unless they begin..."Come Lord Jesus, be our guest..."
Don't worry, I prayed as best as I could on the spot and included blessings for all the major things that people normally included.  Health, kids, safe travels, rain.  It just wasn't necessarily my best impromptu moment.  

At this moment I bet that Lutherans are laughing and everyone else is saying "I don't get it."


And after reading that last line all Lutherans will say "This is most certainly true."

Again, all you Methodists, Baptists and Pentacostals didn't get that last joke either.  

1 comment:

  1. So that was what happened! I didn't get it - the Methodist friend.

    ReplyDelete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.