Monday, March 12, 2012

Fine Literature

Four days ago, Mother Nature decided to get the final remnants of winter out of her system and dumped snow, sleet and a bit of rain on us all in one day.  This of course ensured that multiple cows and heifers would calve in this delightful weather.  Super. 

First thing that morning Wesley brought home a heifer's twin bull calves that were slightly less than perky.  A bit under the weather.  One foot out the door.  Or, for those of you that don't speak in euphemisms, the little buggers were going to die without a bit of intervention. 

I pulled out my special stack of baby-calf-used-bath-towels (I thought everyone had those but turns out I was wrong), dried the calves off, thawed out some colostrum and proceeded to feed them.  Wesley came back into the shed about that time to help and I made mention that the anniversary of Dr. Suess's 100th birthday had just occurred, thus we should name these babies "Thing One" and "Thing Two".  He mumbled something under his breath and left.  (I don't think he was very receptive to the idea.) 

I'm not a big "texter" with my cell phone, but I thought this might be something that my mother-in-law and her second grade class might get a kick out of. 

Me to Janell: A heifer had twins and now they're in my shop.  I suggested we name them Thing One and Thing Two.  Wesley failed to see the humor in the situation.  Apparently not a big Dr. Suess fan...

Janell's reply: He never was one for fine literature.  Where did I go wrong?

Side note: Thing One went back to his mother successfully and Thing Two is my first (and hopefully last) bucket calf of this calving season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.