Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Birth Control

Yesterday afternoon was soooooo hot and I decided that I could stay inside and do laundry and play the feminine card.  I also was feeling especially soft so I let the little girls into the house too.  They know the "summer rules" and they are not allowed to touch the carpet, only staying on our concrete floors.  Normally this is not a problem and they both come in the house and flatten themselves out as much as possible, getting the greatest amount of surface area possible to touch the cool concrete floor.


I let the girls in, switched around all my loads of laundry, and plopped down on the couch to try and finish crocheting on a blanket I've been meaning to finish for ages.  I crocheted away happily for a few moments soaking in the coolness, peace and quiet...


That was it - peace and quiet.  Something there should not be.  I didn't turn my head at all (that would have been a dead give-away) but simply perked up my ears, and there it was.  That small, soft rumble of a quiet fight.  My sisters and I could do this when we were little - achieving the maximum amount of physical violence with the minimum amount of noise possible before getting caught.  I just had no idea that this talent was transferable between species.


I slowly turned my head so as not to attract attention to myself.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw two blue heeler dogs doing some sort of sumo-esque wrestling with teeth bared in their fiercest, most silent snarls.  Loopie caught my glance out of the corner of her eye and instantly she dropped Laurie's throat out of her mouth, the snarl turned into a grin, she wrestled herself out of the tangle of paws and tails that she was in and sat quietly.  Laurie failed to get the message and kept trying to take pot-shots at Loopie while she was sitting so still.  Finally, the two made eye contact and Laurie figured out that they'd "been had".  She quickly adjusted her attitude to mimic Loopie's and there sat the two most angelic figures with beaming smiles on their faces.


They got kicked outside promptly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.