Sunday, January 31, 2021

A Tale of Two Rings

For Christmas this year my husband and children gave me a coupon for a ring made by our friend at S/ Custom Cowboy Hardware.  The coupon also stated that I was to be CHILDLESS when I got to order and pickup the ring, which, let's be honest... was a good portion of my excitement level.

Ordering the ring and waiting the few weeks for it was a breeze.  I went to pick it up this week and the entire drive home I could not get my mind off how special this ring was as I compared it to the joy and elation I felt when I received my engagement ring and wedding band from my husband over a decade ago.  

The wedding ring was, and still is, perfect, shiny and unblemished.  Much like you expect your marriage to be in the beginning.  Sure, other folks get divorced, but they must not have been trying hard enough - right?!  Sure, other folks have trials and tribulations, but they must have forgotten to smile - right?!  Sure, other folks are short with their spouse, but they must have just woken up on the wrong side of the bed for once - right?!  A wedding ring is shiny and perfect and great for those blissfully ignorant enough to think those trials and tribulations only happen to others.  I absolutely love my wedding ring and all it symbolizes about what I thought it would bring in my future.  



...And then there is this ring.  I feel it better represents where we are in our marriage after several years, several miles, several kids, several cattle.  

It has character, no doubt.  There may be a slight imperfection if you study quite closely.  If you just glance at surface level you'll never see it, but it probably still exists.  It may rub a little on my adjoining finger.  Not enough to make me divorce it or take it off forever, but just enough to slightly irritate me at times.  In another day or two I won't even remember what it was that ever bothered me.  

This ring will be able to get dirty during the realness of everyday life and then shine up just fine in time for church Sunday mornings.  This ring will fit perfectly into my chore gloves and tag along just fine while I haul buckets of water to calves each morning.  This ring will be covered in dirt when I dive my hands into the cool spring soil to plant tomatoes my family will devour.  This ring will get covered in sticky dough each time I make cheesy biscuits for supper or sausage balls for breakfast. 

I love my two rings, but for two entirely different reasons and they two very different stories they tell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.