Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Same 'Ol, Same 'Ol: Symphony 2016

Another year is in the books regarding the "Symphony in the Flint Hills".  It was an enjoyable event to work at as an outrider and I can only imagine how much fun it must be to partake in the festivities as a spectator.  Seriously.  I will only be able to imagine.  I'll probably always be working.  

I was disappointed in myself for not taking more photos this year.  My mount was a little, ahem, fresh.  I spent most of my afternoon focused on keeping my horse focused.  I did not want to hold my precious camera in one hand and my reins in the other.  Not this year.  My sister, Elizabeth, and friend, Sarah, were kind enough to share some of their photos with me.  Also, I did finally manage to take a few photos with my camera phone.  

Although I wasn't able to capture any stunning landscape photos like last year I feel that you can still get a general sense of our day after viewing these.  Lots of sun, lots of wind, lots of smiles and lots of laughs.  It's a terrible shame that we only see some of these friends once a year.   

Let me preface this first picture by saying that we are not a big 'picture people' type of family.  This is one of only a handful of pictures of my dad and I together and I absolutely love it.  We were both riding our horses behind a covered wagon that my friend Sarah was riding in and she snapped this for us.  Just think how many pioneers could have taken a similar photo - had they only had a camera.  Sigh....


Fun fact: This colt and baby John consume nearly the same amount of milk each day.
Or at least it feels like that to me.




I wish I had a nickel for every mile I've covered in these stirrups.

Our family grew up giving wagon rides and partaking in this just feels.... natural.  It feels familiar.  It's like riding a bike.  You never forget how to harness a team, how to hitch them, how to drive them.  




For more photographs regarding the "Symphony in the Flint Hills", visit:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.