Thursday, April 7, 2016

The True Cost of Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding seems to be a hot topic these days.  When you can do it, where you can do it, why you should do it.

I think breastfeeding is great; I'm all for it.  I think there are a million reasons why it is great.  I'm not going to belabor any of those today; however.  Today, I am raising a serious point regarding breastfeeding that most every list I have ever read skips over entirely: the TRUE cost of breastfeeding.

I have heard countless times that 'breastfeeding saves so much money versus purchasing formula.'  True.  But breastfeeding does not (at least in my case) save money overall.

Huh?

I AM RAVENOUS.  ALL THE TIME.  IF SEATED AT A TABLE NEXT TO A TEENAGE BOY I WOULD FINISH MY PLATE AND SHANK HIM WITH MY FORK SO I COULD ALSO STEAL HIS.

That is how hungry I am at all times.  It is slightly embarrassing, but I am learning ways to manage it.  For instance, if we are going somewhere for the evening I will eat before going out and then eat again at the function, just to save myself from hitting the food line 4+ times with heaping mounds of food and dealing with stares from bystanders.

Wesley took pity on his wife, the new mom, several months ago and brought home food from a restaurant.  He was so stellar that he brought home food for supper and lunch the next day (or so he thought).  I ate an entire chicken salad, a ribeye sandwich, an appetizer of onion rings, went for a little 10 minuted power walk and then returned to eat his ribeye sandwich he saved for lunch the next day.  Three adult sized entrees and an appetizer in one hour.  That is how hungry I am at all times.

Experts say you should eat several meals throughout the day.  I have taken this to heart.  I eat a huge breakfast, first lunch at 10, second lunch at noon, a little snack at three, first supper at 6 and second supper at 9.

When I make a 9x13 casserole dish of any sort it no longer lasts our family days; it lasts roughly 2 meals at best.

I looked into joining Weight Watchers one day.  I figured up how many 'points' were appropriate for my nursing body and calculated the points on the foods that I had eaten thus far that day.  I smoked through my points after only consuming breakfast and first lunch.  By noon I was working on eating my points for my next day.  I just couldn't do it.

Why am I confessing all of this?  I have several friends that are currently expecting and most of them are first-time mothers.  I am sure they are researching everything baby-related that they can.  I just want to offer my two cents and make sure they are properly forewarned regarding this little aspect of parenting.  Yes, by breastfeeding you will save money on FORMULA, but I have limited confidence that they will save money overall.  You will definitely make it up in the maternal feedbill.  Trust me.




*And now I have to throw in this little disclaimer so some internet troll doesn't try to sue me someday for misleading medical advice.  Yes, breastfeeding is wonderful; you may experience different results; there may be some side effects such as a distended belly, increased trips to the bathroom, limited productivity in other areas of your life.  If you experience an erection lasting more than four hours please contact your doctor immediately.  Whoops!  That probably should not have been included.  That teaches me to double check before I 'cut and paste' from any old medical website!

3 comments:

  1. When I was nursing I was insanely thirsty, all the time. I had to have a giant cup of water next to the bed because my mouth would be so dry as soon as I awoke every morning, and couldn't do anything else until I'd chugged that water down. Such a magical time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a very similar experience (and eating habit) Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to know I'm not alone in this wonderfully odd experience. Thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.