Friday, September 21, 2012

Basic Instincts

I have a paralyzing fear of snakes.  Well, let's say semi-paralyzing fear of snakes.  Thus far, when encountering a snake's presence I have never lost the ability to shriek and scream like a little girl. 

As I grow and mature; however, I have found that I am learning better, more efficient ways to cope with their existence.  Maybe existence is too strong of a word, seeing as how I chopped one into little pieces with a shovel a few months ago.  Anyhoo, my main point is that I'm getting better at not just screaming and crying when I see a snake. 

Case in point?  Tuesday of this week. 

I had just finished hanging clothes out on the line and needed to walk inside to the utility room and grab my next load of wet clothes.  As I opened the door I saw something wiggle out of the corner of my eye.  I looked down to see a little nasty creepy-crawler right underneath the door stoop. 

In the half-second that I had to process information, I remembered that there is a slight gap between the bottom of the screen door and the door stoop and it might be possible for the little snake to wiggle in to my beloved home, especially since I had the heavy storm door open as well. 

How do you prevent a snake from making his way into your home without touching him?  By growling, of course. 

Yes, my primal fears and natural instincts worked together to solve a problem and that is what they came up with.  An odd "GRAAAAAAWWWWW" that sounded like a cross between a drunken sailor, a bear and a lion. 

It managed to do the trick, though.  Instead of slithering into my house, it decided that weirdos resided in this particular residence and he should probably have no part in that.  Good choice, Mr. Snake.  Good choice. 

Maybe I should just go back to screaming.  I really hope that Grandma Curry wasn't in her yard to witness that little escapade.  I have a feeling she prays for me a lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.