Friday, June 11, 2021

The Sweetest Thank You

I believe thank you's are a forgotten art.  The act of acknowledging a kind act that another human has undertaken on behalf of you.

This is an odd story.  I sometimes post agriculture and nature photos on an open Facebook page where anyone in the world can see them.  I had a sweet, random request one day from a lady asking if she could please pay for my photo.  I'm no professional so I didn't feel like I could charge anything and was just delighted to share.   I sent her the original file of my photo and thought no more of it.  Following this, she and I struck up a friendship of sorts online.  She asked one day for my address.

... Isn't that how every 20/20 or Dateline episode ever starts???  'I loved your photo that I turned into a large canvas in my office.  Can I please have your address to thank you?'

But I did a quick risk assessment and decided she was rather harmless and sent her my address.  I am so very glad I did.  

This sweet lady, Miss Nancy, sent me a small canvas of my original photo.  I am continually flabbergasted every time I walk past it.  Not by the photography skills; rather, I am rendered speechless by how amazing some humans can be.  

We have several folks a year that need to borrow our dump truck to haul dirt for their yards and gardens and 90% of them are so awesome in repaying the favor with cookies, supper, garden produce, anything.  It warms our heart to help friends that are so anxious to express thanks.  I love that there is an unspoken rule about repaying favors in kind.  The barter system in our area is second to none.  

I didn't expect more than a note from this Miss Nancy.  Why would I?  I didn't have to exert my effort to provide her with my original photo.  

When a package arrived from her last week I was immediately moved to tears.  She sent me a tiny canvas of my original photo.  


Miss Nancy helped reaffirm our faith in humankind and remind us that most folks are good people.  Most folks want to give thanks for the things they have received in life.  

I know that this photo is not the best thing ever.  Not even close.  I am honored that she felt it was meaningful to her and asked to reproduce it.  I am even more touched that she sent such a thoughtful thank you gift to me that I'll keep forever. 

I know that my kids and I have not written nearly enough thank you notes to loved ones, but we a slowly but surely trying to improve this.  And the great news is that loved ones have given us unlimited opportunities.  This gift served as a wonderful reminder that we must continually give thanks.  

So tonight we received great pictures of our oldest son playing ball.  Kenyon looked through the photos and immediately asked if we could send a message to say thanks to the nice lady.  That made my heart warm.  I hope my kiddos keep remembering to give thanks for the wonderful folks in their lives.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.