Monday, September 10, 2012

New Shoes

When I was little we didn't go shopping very often.  New shoes were quite the luxury.  When we did manage to get new shoes it never failed.... within 12 hours I would be wearing them either out in the pasture or out in the lots and pens.  Its not that I WANTED to get them dirty, its just that I would come home from school, get distracted by something I'm sure was reallllllly important and forget to change out of them.

I was sure that someday I was going to outgrow this.

Friday night on our way to watch the high school football game, we got a call from a neighbor saying that he saw smoke to the west of us and was just sure it was one of our pastures on fire.  Wesley and I dropped everything and immediately went to check it out. 

Although it wasn't our pasture (thankfully), it was a neighbor's and we felt obliged to help them out.  When the first volunteer fire truck showed up Wesley hopped on, grabbed the hose and started spraying while I followed along behind and stomped out the flare ups that happened at every cow pattie. 

Halfway through this exciting adventure I paused and looked down, actually absorbing what was going on and not just in an epinephrine overdrive. 

My brand new, white tennis shoes (which I knew was a dumb idea) were no more.  They were more of an ash-gray color and stinky from all the smoke. 

Some things never change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like mama said... If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.